August 22 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
One event on August 23, 2022 at 7:00 pm
Book by Joe Masteroff
Music by John Kander
Lyrics by Fred Ebb
Presented by Theatre Denton
Directed by James D. Laney
Assistant Direction by Julie Brinker
Music Direction by Travis Harris
Choreography by Nicole Probst
Cliff Bradshaw, an American author working on a novel in Berlin, encounters Sally Bowles at the seedy Kit Kat Klub where she sings. When she is fired by the club’s owner, also her jealous boyfriend, she moves in with Cliff and the two fall in love. As the Nazis begin taking control of the German government, the atmosphere of the Kit Kat Klub and the lives of Cliff and Sally begin to change dramatically. Adult language and content.
Aug. 22, 2022, from 7:00-10:00 pm
Aug. 23, 2022, from 7:00 -10:00pm
Campus Theatre, 214 West Hickory Street, Denton, TX 76201
Aug. 24, 2022, from 7-10 PM
Aug. 29 – Oct. 20, 2022
Oct. 21-23, 28-30, and Nov. 4-6, 2022
• Seeking a DIVERSE cast of talented actors, singers, and dancers; all roles available, with
some double casting possible.
• Preparation: Song (15 bars) from, or in the style of, the show; accompanist provided.
• Theatre resume and headshot optional but encouraged.
• Required: COVID vaccination (and booster, if eligible) unless otherwise noted on the current Theatre Denton website.
• Master of Ceremonies (Emcee): age 20-40s; vocal range middle C to high C#, tenor. The host/master of ceremonies at the Kit Kat Klub is presented as a gender-questionable character comfortable with being close to men and women; comedic, lovable; requires agile stage movement and dance; age range and appearance flexible; speaks with a German accent.
• Sally Bowles: age 20-30s; vocal range low A to high C, soprano, strong belt. A British cabaret singer
at the Kit Kat Klub; a quirky character who comes across as flighty, yet at times struggles with
knowing the darkness of the reality of her life as a cabaret performer; comfortable with stage
movement and moderate dance; speaks with a British accent.
• Clifford Bradshaw: age 20-30s; vocal range low A to high E, tenor. An American novelist and
English teacher traveling to Berlin; presented as a closeted gay man exploring his sexuality;
comfortable with stage movement and light dance; speaks with an American accent.
• Ernst Ludwig: age 20-40s; sings in the chorus, vocal range flexible. A friendly and likable German,
takes English lessons from Cliff, and smuggles funds for the Nazi party. Comfortable with stage
movement and light dance (waltz); speaks with a German accent.
• Fräulein Schneider: age 50-70s; vocal range low D to Ab above middle C, alto. A landlady who rents
rooms in her large flat and falls in love with a Jew, unfortunately at the wrong time in history.
Comfortable with stage movement and light dance (waltz); speaks with a German accent.
• Fräulein Kost (doubles as Fritzie, non-speaking): age 30-50s; vocal range low A flat to high F,
alto/mezzo. Another of Fraulein Schneider’s roomers, she earns money by offering sexual favors to
sailors. Presentation of the character should exhibit a strong sexual comfort and commanding nature;
comfortable with stage movement; speaks with a German accent.
• Herr Schultz: age 50-70s; vocal range low G to high F, tenor. A Jewish man, one of Fraulein
Schneider’s roomers and the proprietor of a fruit shop. He falls in love with Frau Schneider only to be
let down because of his ethnicity. Comfortable with stage movement and light dance; speaks with a
• The Kit Kat Girls: Six performers will be cast. Seeking strong dancers who can sing. The individuals
will also be part of various scenes as performers and as club patrons. The ladies can be of various
shapes and sizes — the key is that they are comfortable with their femininity and scanty costumes that
show off sex appeal; excellent dance skills required.
• Rosie (non-speaking)
• Lulu (non-speaking)
• Frenchie (non-speaking; doubles as Gorilla, also non-speaking)
• Fritzie (non-speaking; doubles as Fräulein Kost, who speaks)
• The Kit Kat Boys: Four performers will be cast. Seeking strong dancers who can sing. Should be
comfortable with portraying gay/bisexual characters; excellent dance skills required.
• Hans (non-speaking; doubles as Rudy, a sailor, also non-speaking)
• Herman (non-speaking; doubles as Customs Official and Max, both speaking)
• Comp tickets and/or other perks